On Test: American Classic Wide Lightning 29″er Wheels- by Grannygear
The trend towards wider rims is well underway, both in MTB and road riding, and we have a pretty dramatic example of this trend in the form of two sets of American Classic Wide Lightning wheels, 29″ ones of course. One set is with c_g in Germany and one set is with Grannygear in So Cal. Between the two of us, we will get a pretty good idea of what these are all about.
From the AC website:
- DISCIPLINE – MTB | Cross Country | Enduro
- RIMS – MTB Wide Lightning Tubeless Aluminum Disc Rims 29”
- SPOKES – AC 14/15 gauge Spokes Black | AC Aluminum Spoke Nipples Silver | 32h 3-Cross Front and Rear
- WEIGHT – FRONT 727g | REAR 842g | PAIR 1569g
- HUBS/SPACING Gray Color FRONT Disc 130 100 mm | 15 mm Thru Axle Disc 100 mm | 9 mm Thru Axle Disc 100 mm
REAR Disc 225 135 mm | 10 mm x 135 mm Thru Axle Disc | 142 mm Thru Axle Disc | Shimano/SRAM 9/10/11 or SRAM XX1
- INCLUDED – AC Tubeless Tape Installed | AC Tubeless Valves
- QUICK RELEASE – Cromoly QR’s
- UPGRADES – Ceramic Bearings | Titanium QR’s | Wheel Bag Thru Axle QR’s
Can be ridden with regular tire and tube
- BRAKE INTERFACE – 6 Bolt International Standard
Bill Shook is a pretty smart guy and our record with his products has been way more positive than negative. The AC Race wheels reviewed by c_g, the SS wheels granny gear reviewed, and the AC 101 rims we built and rode have been well thought out and great performing products. These Wide Lightning wheels are wide, light, tubeless, and rated for anything short of really heavy duty riding, like full on DH, etc. Can Bill do it again? We shall see.
We will be running them on a few different types of bikes between c_g and Grannygear, so it should be interesting to find out. Stay tuned.
Note: American Classic sent over these products at no charge to Twenty Nine Inches for test and review. We are not being paid, nor bribed for these reviews and we will strive to give our honest thoughts and opinions throughout.