Interbike 2012: Best of Show – Niner RIP 9 RDO
In what was a bit of a lackluster Interbike as far as 29″ers go, there was a bright star that dawned just before the show opened and that star arose from the big wheeled centered brains of Niner Bikes. The RIP 9 has been a staple item for Niner Bikes for some time now and is currently on its second generation. The RIP has proven to be a solid and versatile trail bike that can be XC if you do not need it to be racy light. 125mm’s of travel and the excellent CVA short link rear suspension make for a very fun ride. Taking the RIP 9 into the RDO world of carbon was a logical and expected step for Niner, following the same move in the more XC oriented JET 9. The Niner RIP 9 RDO looks great, has some innovative use of materials and pivot designs and looks to be a killer ride. Time will tell as the bikes get into the hands of consumers, but we are gonna step out on a limb here and award our Best of Show to Niner Bikes and the new RIP 9 RDO.
- Carbon full suspension for the 29″er – only mountain bike company
- 125mm of patented CVA suspension is efficient in every chainring
- Compatible with 120-140mm forks
- Tuned for CVA – Fox Float CTD shock with Kashima coat
- Removable ISCG 05 tabs and offset linkage design for chainguide compatibility
- Carbon suspension linkage and unique Niner alloy hardware
- 142mm x 12mm rear spacing
- Available in: Rally Blue
- MSRP $2899 (frame,rear shock, maxle)
ATTENTION TO DETAIL
When you are in the backcountry, the details are what take your ride into the sublime. The trim and sexy carbon links rotate on oversized Angular Contact Bearings for awesome lateral rigidity and immediate power transfer, dropper post routing and ISCG 05 chainguide compatibility mean you can build this bike to fit your ride style and an integrated replaceable skid plate lets you try that optional line with confidence. The RIP 9 RDO features more tire clearance, full housing internal cable routing for a clean look and precision-machined alloy interfaces for the bottom bracket, direct-mount front derailleur and brake caliper post mounts.